April 22, 2010

I'm Looking For a Tree

Helping people pick out trees and other plants for their yards on a daily basis has proved to be a challenging job.

Does it flower? How long will the blooms last? How wide will it get? Is the root system deep or shallow? Will it tolerate the canyon breeze? Does it need a pollinator? What's the difference between the Autumn Blaze and the October Glory maple trees?

Newsflash! Introduced to me by USU Extension Horticulturist Adrian Hinton, this website is easy to use and was created by the good folks at Utah State University.

The Tree Browser allows you to plug in the characteristics you're looking for in a tree, i.e. Family type, growth rate, drought tolerance, etc. and in turn gives you a list of trees that fit your description along with several different photographs of that tree in different settings. This is an INCREDIBLE resource! Please use it and tell your family and friends about it!

A few current favorites...

Platanus occidentalis- American Sycamore


Fagus sylvatica- Tricolor Beech


Cupressus sempervirens- Italian Cypress


Cercis canadensis- Eastern Redbud


3 comments:

Siri Elaine said...

I love tricolor beach trees! One of my faves since I was young! I miss being around that on daily basis...... Never thought I would!

Anonymous said...

Red Bud is my favorite flowering tree. Nothing more beautiful than seeing them, along with blossoming dogwoods and rhododendrons, bringing the spring mountains of the south awake.

Jilly said...

Fagus sylvatica- Tricolor Beech is y far my favorite. Did you go to Utah State? What did you study? I was up there and loved it. You strike me as someone who would have loved school up there. Oh and sorry I'm stalking you today. I just love your blog and pictures!