August 5, 2010

Summer Storms


Haven't they been magnificent? Don't get many like these around here. I remember being a nervous 8 year old girl and my own father taking me out on the front porch of our home in Florence, Alabama- placing me on his lap and teaching me the art of thunder and lighting watching. Fear turned into fascination- thanks Pops. Speaking of fascinating, check out these incredible images from the "Bound for Glory: America in Color" collection. Wowza, right? Maybe I'm a 1940's dustbowl girl at heart...


What era fascinates you most?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking at these pictures reminds me of my Jensen grandparents. She and Grandpa really taught me how to love the details. I remember driving through farmland in the evenings, seeing farm houses with lights on, and Grandpa asking me what I thought they were having for dinner, and Grandma asking what I thought they were discussing, over dinner. I want to ask the people in the photos questions - many, many questions.

Bambi said...

Like you I would have to say the 1940s. I am think that the early post war years in america were such hopeful, driven and lively years. So much was happening and so many had dreams come true. Life seemed simple after the war and happy. Plus I have so many outfits that would totally go with the fashion trends.

CRH said...

Dang, that is an awesome link. These photos bridge the "history gap" of black and white that I am used to when seeing old WWII pictures. And these aren't colorized, like other old photos and movies. They are real. Close real. Accessible real.